Friday, September 24, 2010

Koyambedu Market

The Koyambedu market is one of the largest wholesale fruit and vegetable markets in Asia, with seemingly endless rows of stalls each with basketful's of produce or neatly stacked pyramids of apples, tomatoes, coconuts, artichokes, or rows of bananas and plantains still on the stalk. A person could walk for miles, in the several hours I spent here, I saw less than half the complex.







There is a separate building that houses a large flower market. The scene here is very lively, with the vendors, sitting on their raised platforms among huge piles of cut flowers enticing the customers to buy with their loud calls, each trying to outdo the other, or weighing out customer's purchases on hand held brass scales. It is worth walking through just for the many fragrances as you walk by the jasmine or rose vendors.

There is a big demand for flowers in India. You encounter street vendors everywhere, especially in the vicinity of the shrines where women string together long braids of flowers for offerings or you often see women wearing jasmine flowers in their hair.

The market area was originally in an old congested part of the city, but has been moved recently to it's present location on the outskirts of town. I was intrigued by the architecture of the flower complex.




After a little bit of bargaining, I bought a bag of Almonds from this gentleman, who sealed the deal with a handshake. The vendors bargain hard but it is expected, a sort of formality, which takes some getting used to for a westerner like me who is used to set prices.



All the delivery trucks are elaborately painted, this one in particular caught my eye.







These guys are unloading a truck full of bananas, packed in layers of leaves. They are then carried into the market in baskets on the heads of a whole procession of men.





Of course not all the goods come in on motorized vehicles. This delivery person is taking off his shirt after a very hot ride.





1 comment:

  1. Dear Dave,
    Thank you for posting these pictures. They are really great and I am really enjoying it....takes me back to nostalgic moments. I really like the picture of Koyambedu market. Can you do me a big favor please. Do you mind sending me the picture so that I could print it bigger. Hope you don't mind.
    I am also from Chennai currently living in Texas. May God bless you all.
    Take care
    Reggie Andrews, Dallas, Texas
    You can email me at 3rojakal@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete